BEHIND THE MIC: MAGNIFIRE


Magnifire may be short in stature but that man's talent  & heart propel him to lands even giants dare not step. I was fortunate enough to interview the young man. This is the interview below:

Why spoken word?
Why spoken word? Rather why not spoken word?? It’s the purest and rawest way to artistically communicate. It’s direct and as a spoken word artist, on a stage with a mic, I have the opportunity to be a voice—voicing God and people. Doing it fearlessly cause am able to say stuff most are scared to say.

WHEN DID YOU START WRITING?
I've been a rapper longer than I've been a poet. Wrote my first rap in 2001, at 11 years old. Wrote my first poem in 2003. So I've been penning stuff down for a minute now.

Which artists most inspire you, local and international?
My hugest influence poetically has to be Nas. Nobody puts the "poetry" in "rhythm and poetry" better than he does. Other International acts I find inspiring are, Lupe Fiasco, Propaganda, Braille, Mr. J. Medeiros, Kendrick Lamar, Carvens Lissaint, Daniel Beaty, Joshua Bennet, Aja Monet, and Rudy Francisco. I am also inspired by the story telling of Edgar Alan Poe and the Romanticism of Shakespearean poetry. Locally, there’s amazing talent that keeps me on my toes. The Please Don’t Snap poetry collective are an abundant resources of killer poets that always provoke me artistically. Others include Ludo, Pilato, Skrypted, Sticka, and many more.

Can you let us in on your creative process?
If I could have a title then I'm home and dry. I allow myself to be inspired by almost anything—God, people, nature, etc. Then work on a provocative title from there on. After that’s settled, penning my thoughts down is like cycling downhill. My metaphoric expressions are very vivid and my delivery as I am led to believe is very engaging. I'm a pretty aggressive performer.

Which piece would you say was your most relevant?
Wow. Most relevant piece? I can’t call it. My audience would have to pick one. However, a piece I wrote called "Butterflies vs. Bottom lines" may be among my most relevant pieces. It speaks of how our emotions wrestle with reality.

Why the name magnifire? Does it carry any significance?
I got the name MagniFire by merging the words "magnifier" and "fire". The significance of the name comes from how through my art I make a daring effort to give my listeners a close up so they can see God and the mysteries that exist from microscopic to telescopic parameters.

You’re also a rapper. Is their difference between rap and spoken word? Do you merge the two?
Certain rules apply to rap. Rhythm and count for me are religiously followed when am rapping. With my spoken word I obey no such rules. And yes I do merge the two.

What is your vision for the future in relation to your artistic pursuits?
I have a vision to raise standards as a poet and as a recording artist. Put music out there that is excellent and that puts Africa, and Zambia most importantly, on the map.

Do you think spoken word in Zambia is here to stay or is it just a fading fab?
As long as I'm around, Poetry and Spoken word art will always thrive in Zambia.

If you had to do duet spoken word piece with another artist, who would it be, and why?
I would love to write and recite with someone like Aja Monet or Sunni Patterson. It would have to be a female artist because I find beauty in polarizing issues between opposite sexes.

Where can one catch Magnifire, if they wished to see him doing his thing?
Follow me on twitter @FayaNation and keep your eyes peeled for upcoming events.

What word of advice can you give to upcoming poets that are trying to break through?
Advice? Be open minded learn, grow, study, research and get in front of as many crowds as you can.

Is there a place people can buy/download your poems?

Are there any upcoming events and projects your fans should look out for?
I am currently working on an anthology of pieces under the theme "Dynamite Kid" I have written 4 so far. These are highly lyrical and mentally murderous poems that just define me at my best. I don’t have a favorite among them.

Thanks for your time

Pobo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is What We're Doing Working?

Dear Future Wife (LYRICS)

I CRY (LYRICS)